Your panel will come with basic instructions, but here’s how to make your calendar even more special! In addition to your panel you’ll need fusible fleece, backing fabric, a dowelling rod and cord to hang. Alternatively you could finish the edges with bias binding and hang it with a couple of curtain rings.
Use a 1/4” seam allowance
1. Cut out the panel pieces, you’ll find it easier to use a rotary cutter and ruler.
2. Iron fusible fleece to the wrong side of the large panel. [Stabiliser will also work, we’re just adding a bit of sturdiness to the fabric]. To add a bit of personality, free motion embroider around a few of the prints on the panel, make sure they’re not under where the pockets will go! Don’t worry about perfection here, a ‘sketchy’ look is good!
3. Cut out each individual pocket piece.
4. Fold the edges of each pocket piece over by ¼” and press. Sew across the top of each pocket. It’s easier to chain sew these pieces, that’s continually sewing across each piece so they’re joined together, snip them apart when you’re finished.
5. Adhere each pocket piece over it’s place on the main panel with a basting stick, pins work too but a glue stich is easier! Sew around the bottom three sides of each pocket, leave to tops open, and don’t forget to back stitch at the beginning and end of your sewing to strengthen the stitches.
6. Cut a piece of backing fabric to the size of your panel. Cut another lining piece to the width of the panel and 4” in depth. Sew the ends of this strip over twice and sew to hem, then fold in half lengthways and sew to make a tube. Turn the right side out.
7. Pin, then sew this tube to the backing fabric, 1” from the top.
8. Remove any pins. Sew the backing fabric and the panel right sides together, leaving a turning gap of about 5” in one side. Snip across the corners, turn the right side out and press. Top stitch all around the edge, this will sew the opening closed.
9. Thread your dowelling through the channel on the back of the calendar and tie a cord around each end to hang. Fill with goodies and you’re ready for the countdown to Christmas!